A Taste of Yellow: My Yellow Heart for LIVESTRONG
October 2nd has been announced as LiveSTRONG Day 2010.
When you are blogging you meet so many people over the world and you learn about the stories of their lifes – sometimes you have the chance to laugh cause they have funny stories to tell, sometimes the stories amaze and inspire you but some days you find yourself in front of your computer and your keyboard gets wet from the tears dropping on your keyboard while reading not so good news on a blog whose writer grew close to your heart over reading this blog for so long. Cancer is a word you come across quite often in the blogging world. It breaks my heart every time I learn that another one has to deal with the evil “C”.
Cancer is a big word. Cancer changes the lifes of so many. You can survive cancer – or maybe not.
But it always affects all of those around the person who is diagnosed with the big bad “C”. Normally I do not share too many personal things about my life and my dear ones here. But let me tell you: The “C”-word has affected my life not only once but more often than I really really want to remember. Only two weeks ago a friend of mine found out that she has breast cancer.
For her and my Grandma, my Grandpa and his 2nd wife I decided to go yellow and participate in Barbara’s annual event “A Taste of Yellow”.
Heart-shaped Pear-Buttermilk Cake
125 gr butter
250 gr powdered sugar
250 gr flour
250 gr buttermilk, roomtemp
1/2 pkg baking powder
- Mix butter sugar and eggs until creamy.
- Add buttermilk.
- Slowly add flour and baking powder ’till the batter is smooth.
- Pour into cake form.
- Heat oven to 200°C
- Cut pears into slices and arrange on top of cake.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes. If cake gets too dark cover with tin foil during the second half of baking time.
- Let cool.
This cake is a family recipe and has been made in my family for decades of years now. ist’s so easy peasy and quick to whip up. Plus people really love it. I’ve made this myself in so many variations I can’t count.
- If you want a dark cake just add as much cocoa powder as you like and you have a delicious chocolaty cake.
- If you do not have fresh fruits on hand, just cover the cake with jam (any taste you like) while it is still warm (it will make the cake even more juicy).
- If you like it even more chocolaty: cover with chocolate ganache and let cool in the fridge or a cool place over night.
Since Barbara said we are ought to use yellow ingredients, these are mine used in this cake: egg yolk, butter, yellow pears.
I baked it in my little heart-shaped cake form.
Barbara has shared this event since 2007 with us, here you can see and read about previous A Taste of Yellow LiveSTRONG events:
LiveSTRONG With A Taste of Yellow is an official LiveSTRONG Day event.
How you can help and take action:
Go YELLOW to help raise awareness, by WEARING YELLOW, or turning your blog YELLOW today or during October!
Donate via the LIVESTRONG website (there are lots of giving options).
Attend a LIVESTRONG EVENT in your area.
Do a fund-raising event for LIVESTRONG yoorself!
Make a purchase from the LIVESTRONG online store (or a store near you selling LIVESTRONG items)
Wear your LIVESTRONG wrist band with pride.